May 9, 2017.....ICELAND!
May 9, 2017
Even after all the hype, Iceland exceeded my expectations. It’s a naturally magnificent land to walk upon, that is thankfully well protected. I hate the cold, but all the wind and rain and shivering were worth it.
These were my notes before going to Iceland.
I didn’t think I did enough research, but you realize once you’re there that it’s true, there really is only one main road, and no matter which direction you go it’s beautiful and every 5 miles or so the terrain could potentially change and blow your mind once more.
1. Iceland 1. Reykjavík
4. Thingvellir (National Park, volcanoes)
5. Flúðir - Secret Lagoon - does cost 2.800ISK, less touristy
6. Gullfoss Falls (4.7)
7. Seljavallalaug Zwembad (outdoor pool)
8. Gljúfrafoss (waterfall, 4.9)
9. Hvítserkur - basalt stack - looks like a dragon drinking
10. Fjaðrárgljúfur - sweet ass mossy canyon - Fjaðrá flows through it
11. Vesturdalur Valley - Diamond Circle - great hiking
12. Hljodakletta - columnar rock formations
13. Pjorsardalur, “no tourists”: filled with waterfalls. One inside Gjaini canyon. Haifoss waterfall (Iceland’s 2nd highness), Granni waterfall, waterfall Hjalp (help), Pjofafoss (thief waterfall) …other side of mountain Burfell. Roads 32 and 26. 2-3 hour drive from Reykjavik 1.
1. Icelandair - For Iceland and Europe 1. 2 x 50lbs bags
2. Total of the 3 dimensions (L+W+H) should not exceed 62in. 3. 1 x 22lbs bag
^ We did most of these places but not all. My absolute favorite was Fjaðrárgljúfur (sweet ass mossy canyon was incredibly correct, and then some).
Other favorite experiences:
1. Learning to “tolt” the Icelandic horses through an amazing trail that winded around the lava fields
2. Glacier hiking
3. Caving through a tunnel carved by lava flow
4. the Blue Lagoon and Flúðir (less commercial lagoon)
5. THE FOOD, particularly got hooked on the fisherman’s stew just about everywhere. And my goodness the fresh caught fish of any kind is the best I’ve ever had. Try everything!! (I’ll come up with a list and post soon)
6. The time Google maps was taking us to a restaurant that led us to the top of a steep cliff in the dark night, that was fun.
7. Last but possibly favorite, driving on the endless road with no one else around except my superb copilot and my camera =) SPECIAL NOTE: Make sure you go to the correct airport on your way there…. check it five times! You don’t want to miss this.